Why are the majority of meal replacement or weight gainer shakes not good? Most of these shakes use dextrose or maltodextrin as a carb source. They are empty calories and lack nutrients. For example, glucose is similar in nature. Whenever a macronutrient like a carbohydrate is ingested, it requires specific micro nutrients to utilize/process it. Consider the case when one’s diet is nutrient void but high in empty calories. The disease Beriberi that was once prevalent among economically backward nations whose diets composed of mostly just rice. Since every gram of carbohydrate ingested requires B1 to be utilized, this lead to a B1 deficiency, Beriberi. B1 is required for the utilization of protein, carbs and fats. It also plays a vital role in excretion and also breaking down estrogen in the liver.
Potassium is required for storing glycogen and therefore aid in utilization of all the ingested carbohydrates hence facilitating proper repair/growth. 17 mg potassium per every gram of carbohydrate ingested in order to hold that as glycogen. So, a 500 g carbohydrate diet would equate to 8500 mg of required potassium intake. The average man with the average weight on a 2000 calorie diet would require 4700 mg potassium alone based on the RDA. People who have tried and seen themselves how much of an impact it does when increasing micronutrients on their above average macro nutrient/calorie diet, in terms of health and physique and also increased strength levels.
Described below is the meal replacement/weight gainer which can be customized in order to suit one’s requirements. However, it is always advised advise fresh foods for multiple reasons; chewing helps carb digestion which starts in the mouth via enzymes.
For a heavier male athlete:
- 100 g potato starch (83g carbohydrates, 1000 mg potassium)
- 1-2 cup tomato juice (8-16 g carbohydrates, 500-1000 mg potassium) (carrot juice is another option)
- 25 g protein from Pea protein powder
- Studies showed more muscle thickness can be added in comparison to whey, and absolutely no bloat or digestive issues. Can also substitute the protein portion with beef jerky
- 1-2 tablespoons beef gelatin, (9-18 g protein).
- It has proven benefits on healing the digestive tract and it also aid in anxiety and sleep and metabolic function as well. Studies have indicated that 10 g of glycine is required per day. Gelatin also has the added benefit of increasing protein bioavailability of all other meats to 99%. For example, beef is increased from 80% to 99%. It is suggested to be taken with all meals.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, raw unshelled.
- PUFA fats are in abundance in sunflower seeds, showed x3 the muscle growth over saturated fats and helped prevent abdominal fat gain and visceral fat gain unlike saturated fats.)
- Salt (individual depending on your dietary intake already, 1/4th a teaspoon for most).
Total of 700 calories, 100 g carbohydratess, 53-60 g protein, 13 g fats and potassium of 2000-2200 mg
In a typical weight gainer shake, the carbohydrates to protein ratio cannot be altered. Also, they contain dextrose or waxy maize and negligible amounts of micronutrients. This meal replacement shake is economical in price as the main source, potato starch is cheap.